Fall is upon us and the apple trees are overflowing with sweet goodness.
I have more fresh organic apples than we can eat. So I go about making apple sauce for the kids and apple pies for everyone that will take one. The entire time I’m thinking, I eat more than anyone in this house, I must find a way to incorporate these apples into my diet.
And just like all recipes I create, I set my mind to make a healthy, high-protein, sweet apple dish.
I decided on apple crumble because I immediately knew I could substitute in some healthy ingredients and I could almost taste this crumble thrown into my morning bowl of oatmeal or served over some Greek yogurt. I got this one perfect on the first try.It only lasted one night as the entire family gobbled it up. Ive made it a few times now and thought I should share with you all.
Healthy Protein Apple Crumble
- 5 each apples thinly sliced(peel if desired, I don't)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or any sugar-free syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup Rolled Oats use gluten-free if desired
- 4 scoops Vanilla Protein Powder you can use any flavour you think will taste in the crumble
- 1 teaspoon stevia sweeten as you desire here. Stevia is calorie free but very sweet.
- 1 teaspoon cinamon
- 1/4 cup raw, natural coconut oil melted
- Preheat oven to 350degrees F and spray a 9" pie plate with natural cooking spray.
- Combine all filling ingredients in a medium bowl and transfer to pie plate.
- Combine all crumble topping ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Sprinkle crumble mixture over the top of apples.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until apples have reached desired tenderness. If you need to cook longer cover the pie dish with foil to continue cooking without browning or burning the topping.
- Serve warm in your oatmeal or serve over fat free Greek yogurt for either a healthy breakfast or clean dessert option.