Can you believe it? Halwa for under 100 calories. Carrot halwa is an extremely popular Indian dessert. It is traditionally made using ghee and powdered milk or cream. Not very figure friendly. Not only is my recipe low calorie, it is gluten free and low fat. Although this snack is very nutritious it is also high in carbs. It is a great choice for a post-workout snack with a protein shake.
This is actually a very healthy dish. Let me know what you think.
Gajaar (Carrot) Halwa
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or avocado oil
- 2 cups carrots peeled and shredded
- 1 cup skim milk
- 5 each cardamom pods peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup sweetner of choice raw cane sugar, coconut sugar, honey
- 5 each pistachios chopped
- Heat up oil in frying pan.
- Add the shredded carrots. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the oil is absorbed by the carrots and they cook down. Keep stirring.
- Add the milk. Allow the milk to boil for 5 minutes. The carrots will soften up and the milk will slightly thicken. Keep stirring.
- Add the crushed cardamoms and sweetener.Increase temperature and continue to stir until milk evaporates.
- Add half the pistachios. Mix. Use the other half of pistachios to garnish.
Serving Size 4
Servings Per Container 1
Amount Per Serving
Calories 124 Calories from Fat 14.4
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1.6g 2%
Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 1.2mg 0%
Sodium 70mg 3%
Total Carbohydrate 26.2g 9%
Dietary Fiber 1.7g 7%
Protein 3g 6%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
this is amazing! I can’t wait to try this!